Saturday, May 05, 2007

Change in training direction

My training was not heading the way I wanted it to so I have made changes to bring it back on course. I have way too many toys to play with and my goals were not focalized.

The things I needed to change were to have specific goals, limit the tools I need to use, a balance of strength & conditioning and also to have carry over to other activities in life.

I can remember when I first started training sports competitively. Running was very simplistic and fun. No two days were the same but the movement was basically the same day to day. We mixed it up doing sprints, 400 meters and longer runs. Also hill runs were one of my favorites! The same as when I first started training with kettlebells. I really only worked with the basic movements. I felt good and definitely noticed nice carryover to ther aspects of daily life. I remeber at the time I only had a few bells.

When I was at the Fedorenko cert of course I was impressed with his abilities. WOW! The main thing that fascinates me is his carryover to other lifts(without specifically training them). I have a much better understanding of what GS is about. It will be a tough road but will suit my needs well.

Anyways blah blah blah.... here is this weeks training:

Mon:
AM Jerks #50's 25 reps @ 6 rpm
1 arm swings #70 20 x 1

PM Snatches #50 30/30 @ 10 rpm
1 arm jerks #70 9/9 x 2 @ 6rpm

Tues:
AM Jerks #50 x 24 @ 6rpm ; x 12 @ 6rpm
1 arm swings #50 x 50/50

PM Snatches #50 x 40/40 @ 10 rpm
1 arm jerks #70 x 10/10 @ 10rpm; x 9/9 @ 6rpm

Wed:
Squats #100 100 X 1

Thurs:
AM Jerks #50'S X 24 @ 6rpm
1 arm swings #70 20/20 x 2

PM Snatches #50 x 40/40 @ 10 rpm
1 arm jerks #70 x 12/12 @ 6rpm

Fri:
AM Jerks #50's 24 @6rpm
1 arm swings #70 20/20+20/20 (no rest)

PM Snatches #50 L50 R55 @ 10rpm - 10 mins
* at 9.30-10.00 on right side did 10 reps, first time doing 10 mins
1 arm jerks #70 12/12 @ 6 rpm

Nothing glamorous but that ain't what I'm about;)

6 comments:

Tom Furman said...

Very interesting Ken. I read the piece on Valery's coach in Greece and his numbers on odd lifts. They are right off the charts. Something has to be happening there.

--Tom

Tommy Shook said...

Ken,
Interesting shift, and not altogether surprising, but what I and all of our readers really want to know: are you squeezing your butt cheeks with maximal force during the entire set??

Just spoofin' on ya a bit mate! Keep at it.

David Garrett said...

NICE!!!
Love the "2 a days".
I'm looking forward to having the time to do that myself.
Nice post.

Dave

Joe Sarti said...

Yuck, lol I hate high reps. But someone has to do them and I am glad it is you ;-)

Great work Ken, I think this is going to suit you well and I look forward to picking your brain more about the GS Snatch especially!

Keep up the great work bro

Franz Snideman said...

Great. Another GS monkey!

:)

Just kidding. Look forward to having you put me through a GS workout.

Pete said...

Wow! What a journey you are taking, Ken. Excellent work as always. Sorry I missed your call, and we are playing phone tag! :)