Monday, September 04, 2006

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it." Steve Irwin



Steve Irwin dies
Got bumbed this morning when I heard this news. I went to his zoo couple of times . First time it was a shack and a few snakes and lizards. I went back there about ten years later and it was totally different. He really poured all his money back into it and revamped it totally. Feel for his family. He did a lot furthering the causes he believed in. A real shit of a way to go.


Todays workout
Played around with the bands on squats & deads

Dbl KB clean 88's 1 x 1

Bu press 24kg KB 5 x 2

Dbl BU press 24's 5 x 1; 4 x 2
BW ring pullups 5 x 1; 4 x 2

Dbl KB snatch w/squat 24's 5 x 3 (1st set overhead squat, 2nd & 3rd racked)

Overhead squat w/PVC

Extensor work
Band mobility

Haven't done the double snatch in too long! Excellent exercise and coupled with the squat made it even more brutal!

4 comments:

Tommy Shook said...

Ken, I feel you man, "the crocodile Hunter" was an alright dude, always entertaining and seemed like he genuinely cared about the environment. Sad news. I feel for his family.
Interesting to see you playing around with double snatches and OHS's. I have been steadily working on them in my own training, as a warm-up especially. Doing barbell OHS with light weight has really helped my shoulder and back flexibility, and improved my Sots press. I have been doing some explosive jumps too, from kneeling to the low position of a OHS or snatch( barbell) and have recently started doing them back to back in a complex routine..nothing crazy, like 3 sets of 5 prior to snatching. It feels pretty good and increases the range of motion.
I haven't done barbell power cleans in a really long time, but am thinking it is time to add them back to the mix as well. Low rep sets with a moderate weight seems about right. I think a good "power cycle" might include power cleans, OHS's, double snatches and perhaps heavy deadlifts..broken up on alternating days, of course...and you would still have to find room for some presses as well. I'm really just thinking out loud here..what do you guys think?

Jen's Gym at Crossfit Watertown, CT said...

Ken, I'm gald you posted about Steve. I was so sad when I heard. What an awesome guy and man did he love his wife and childeren.
"Get busy living or get busy dying"
Steve did both!
Jen

Ken Black said...

Tom I am going to think about this.
At first glance you might need heavier squatting exercise in there? Man my hammies were feeeling it today after the snatches;)

Yep sad but he made a big difference in educating so many people. Jen you should check out Tom's blog he was a cyclist also. I believe Rif as well?

Franz Snideman said...

Ken, that was a huge bummer about Steve's Irwin's death. Life is short and we must take advantage of the time we have on this earth. Glad to see you living life fully and influencing those around you in a positive way!