Saturday, June 24, 2006

A marathon workout

Enjoying things that are outside of the box limits you to who you can enjoy those activities with. I don't have any regular training partner(besides the dog and she just wants to chase the ball) but I do have some friends crazy enough to drop by now and again.

One of the most admirable traits that I feel you can find in a person is the ability to step up to the plate. If you suceed you achieve and learn but the same can be said if you fail. Just being up there allows you the opportunity to grow and learn. If you don't even step up then you have wasted that opportunity.

I had the pleasure of putting my friend Tom Shook through some fun stuff today. I met Tom about a year ago at one of my workshops. Since then he has become a certified kettlebell instructor. Tom has that admiable quality of stepping up. We did some things that I am sure pushed us to and above our limits. Yes we both attempted some exercises that were beyond our scope but it wasn't about that. It was about stepping up. Some was heavy but that wasn't the total order of the day. Making the lifts difficult was the main aim. Enjoy the pics.

Tire flips w/#400 pound tire, Fatbar deads, #150 med ball, Softball deads. Also did some sled dragging, rope pulling, heavy farmers walks and I am sure other stuff! Ate a big lunch after;)
Thanks for dropping by Tom. Look forward to doing it again soon.

8 comments:

Tommy Shook said...

"Friends don't let friends lift light!" Should be our new motto! Man that was crazy good fun! The fat bar is really humbling and so is the Rolling Thunder...I am getting one of those soon!! You pulled off some impressive lifts man, but you're right it was all about stepping up and going for it, win, lose, or draw. Thanks for the great experience! "Good times!"

Pete said...

I am truly sorry that I missed the ability to train with the both of you. It is obvious you had alot of fun pushing each other to the next level. I plan on being there for the next meeting of pain.

Pete said...

Is it me or is Shook getting huge? :)

Ken Black said...

You missed out on some fun Pete:)

It was good seeing you Tom. Fat bar is the humbler thats for sure!I will look into the RT for you.

Franz Snideman said...

Wow. Looks like you guys had some fun. I need to make it up there some time to visit.

Great job Tom and Ken!

Ken Black said...

You are more than welcome anytime Franz, Yoana, and the little hairy ones:)Would be great to have you.

Mark Reifkind said...

couldnt agree more ken. we have very similar mindsets it seems. and way to step up Mr Shook, that is truly what being a man is all about,imo.

you know, win, lose or draw, the next day you are back in the gym anyway! If you step up to the plate often enough you know you have good days and bad but what really counts is actually being there and doing it.put it on the line and see what you are made of. I love that stuff.

I just wish I could do it like I used to. It definitely has a price tag though and one must be careful too. great stuff guys keep it up.

rif

Ken Black said...

Thanks Rif. I am getting more into lifting awkward stuff instead of the heavy all the time. Seems to be working well but we shall see;)
If you have never done blob/block lifting I think that would be right up your alley.