Friday, June 02, 2006

Training for knowledge

"Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body" Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

I am by no means profound in my thinking!

This week I did a lot (maybe too much) shoulder work but it gave me an insight to my overhead pressing. My point being (remember the first sentence here;) if I always train in my comfort zone or the way that I know as safe then I would not have these insights. I love to train hard and know that training smart is also important but life isn't always this way. It is in times of hardship or extremes we really find what we are made of.






Monday

Short hike

Band presses (2 yellow + 1 mag) 5 x 3 sets
Pistols Bw (onto box) 3 x 5 sets

Tuesday

Pistols Bw 3 x 10 sets
Pullups Bw 5 x 6 sets

Wednesday

Pistols 3 x 6 reps

Mil. press KB #50 5 reps
# 70 ladder 1,2,3 done 5 times + 25 reps/ arm

Thursday

Pistols Bw 3 x 7 sets

Clubbells # 15's
Swipe + press 20 x 2 sets
Shield cast x 5 both directions
behind head circles x 5 both directions

Shoulders felt great after

10 comments:

Pete said...

Aha! McKinley Park I presume? What a great place in the spring time. Where it all began.....seems like yesterday. I want to thank you Ken for showing me this kettlebell path. Who knew that one could get so much from a funny hunk of iron?

Franz Snideman said...

Great Quote Ken!

As yes...you are profound in your thinking my friend. Do not sell yourself short. You have given me insights and counsel that no on else has given me. Keep up the blogging and the sharing!!!

Franz

Ken Black said...

Does seem like yesterday but sit back and think how much has happened in that time!
Thanks Franz. I like that quote a lot also!
It is kickass knowing you guys.

Joe Sarti said...

well if you are not profound then what the heck was this post ;-). Well said Ken, I just saw a line by Louie Simmons to the effect that the safe exercises are the worst kind....hmm I like the extreme conditions but with the element of intelligence mixed in myself! Train the mind, the body is already there is one of my personal mottos

Wed the fun begins...see you then

Pete said...

Those who truly are profound in their thinking usually don't think they are. Those who think they are deep are only their own cheerleaders. It is no surprise to me that revelations occur from pushing oneself physically. Keep on waxing poetic, Ken.

Dog Pound said...

It is odd how hard a press becomes when you do it bottoms-up. Seeing you with a 32K(?) is inspiring. I was working them today and can't get beyond 16k on my left and a very wobbly 24k on my right.

Mark Reifkind said...

nice bottoms up press ken, is that the twopood?

Tommy Shook said...

Ken..you're crazy strong man! I'm back from the level 2..lots of good stuff. can't wait to talk to you.

Ken Black said...

Yep it is the two pood. I can't nail it every time yet though.

Will be good to catch up with you Tom.

Mark Reifkind said...

Niiiiice. what ya mean catch up with me. I just cleaned the bulldog, not pressed it!I almost amde the 28 kg yesterday and will get it next time.my goal is the two pood.