Monday, August 14, 2006

Pete in local newspaper!

Pete's workout from the Sac bee

My workout

Who: Pete Diaz, 38, Sacramento police officer. Lives in Citrus Heights.
Equipment: Kettlebells, cast-iron weights that resemble cannonballs with a handle. Kettlebells were first used by Russian strongmen about 300 years ago.
"Back in the day, in the early 1900s, the old health gyms had things like kettlebells, parallel bars and rings," says Diaz. "Today's machines make exercise easier, which attracts more people and gyms make more money."
Routine: Four to five workouts a week that can last from 15 minutes to an hour. He owns 16 kettlebells; the heaviest is 88 pounds.
Motivation: Tired of commercial gyms, Diaz says he discovered kettlebells in a muscle magazine. He then attended a kettlebell seminar at the Learning Exchange.
"It's kind of like weighted tai chi -- you get very fluid with your movements," says Diaz. "What I like about kettlebells is you can take it outdoors, take it to the river or your backyard. It takes you back to a different time, before people began moving a machine.”

8 comments:

Pete said...

YIKES! It is amazing what they keep and what they omit in an interview. The weighted tai chi comment came after I mentioned it mimicked Oly lifting. I probably shouldn't have watched Steve Cotter's dvd Full Kontact KBs before the interview! :) I am sorry that they omitted your info Ken. I had given them your info so if there was interest, they could contact you.

Ken Black said...

Hey no probs Pete! It is good to read that stuff when you know the real story! Look forward seeing you tommorow.

Mark Reifkind said...

need to register,can you cut and paste?

Ken Black said...

Sure Rif it would be my pleasure;)

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks, cool exposure and yes pete, they do 'choose liberally' from what you said to what they print.was journalism major in college and was an intern for the Miami Herald in another life.

Pete said...

Ah, yes. I am used to it in my profession ;).

Sorry about the lack of posting on my blog. Training is occurring, time to post being more of a pain right now with my work schedule.

Will get back to posting soon.

Mark Reifkind said...

oh,ok,let life interfere with my reading. man.....
LOL!

take care Pete.

Pete said...

Funny you should say that, Rif......I was just at Ken's who was talking to Franz who said the same thing about life getting in the way of bloggin'. :)